Board members are busy people. It’s a simple truth. Unfortunately, that simple truth can make keeping up with best practices in board governance next to impossible. But don’t worry. Our series, Research Recap, will keep you in the loop on the latest findings in governance research. No frills. No fancy language. We’ll give you exactly what you need to know!
Journal of Marketing
When and How Board Members with Marketing Experience Facilitate Firm Growth
Research is supported by data, experimentation, and observations rather than relying on the discussion of theory or analysis of existing research.
This study examines aims to answer two questions:
- Does having more board members with marketing expertise affect a firm’s growth?
- If so, under which conditions is their influence muted or magnified?
Researchers found that having board members with marketing experience increases the growth of a firm. The study goes into more detail on exactly how their presence on the board influences growth, but found that their influence was muted far more often than it was magnified. The authors suggest that this is because (1) board members with marketing expertise are often a minority with regard to board composition, and (2) many board members tended not to fully recognize the value of marketing—often stifling valuable insights.
We just saved you…
67 minutes, 13 seconds
Estimated reading time of our article = 1 minute, 2 seconds.
Estimated reading time of the research = 68 minutes, 15 seconds
In 67 minutes, 13 seconds you could…
- Rehearse your responses to the conversational landmines you’re going to have to diffuse this Thursday.
- Visualize each your schedule for getting things in and out of the oven with the intensity of an olympic diver.
- Stare longingly at your phone. You’ve typed in the number for the local take-out place. All the stress; the frantic last-minute shopping; unleashing Pazuzu’s wrath upon your husband daring to eat one of your deviled eggs before the guests shows up—all of it could be over with the touch of a button…
And, of course, 67 minutes, 13 seconds gives you plenty of time to book a demo of Directorpoint’s powerful board management software. Schedule today to learn how we’re helping businesses make better decisions… across the board!
WHITLER, K. A., KRAUSE, R., & LEHMANN, D. R. (2018). When and How Board Members with Marketing Experience Facilitate Firm Growth. Journal of Marketing.